The perfect dessert for spring parties and summer barbecues.
A special treat for anyone sensitive to gluten, wheat, dairy, sugar, fructose, & fructans.
for the crust:
1 c shortening (I use organic Spectrum brand)
1/2 c maple syrup
2 c gluten free flour (I use 1 c white rice flour, 1 c millet flour)
1 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 tsp salt
for the top filling:
1 & 1/2 c maple syrup
1/3 c + 2 T gluten free flour (I used half millet/half white rice)
1/3 c lemon juice (about 2 ripe lemons)
1 tsp lemon zest
optional: dextrose powder (fructose free sugar)
preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In medium bowl, mix flour, xanthum gum, and salt. Blend flour mixture with shortening. Add maple syrup and mix.
2. In 9 x 13 pan, press dough to bottom of pan. Bake crust for 20 min @ 350 degrees F or until lightly golden brown. Remove and let cool while you begin making lemon filling.
3. In small bowl, whisk eggs. Add maple syrup, lemon juice*, and zest. Mix in flour. Pour mixture over baked crust. Bake 20-25 minutes or before the top edges harden. Top filling will firm as it cools.
4. Optional: to keep the traditional dusted look, sprinkle 2+ tablespoons of dextrose (fructose free sugar) on top.
5. Chill, share, & enjoy!!!
* Microwave lemons before squeezing to get more juice out. Bottled lemon juice also works, but then you won’t have any zest to add that extra citrus punch to your bars.
Recipe adapted from